The Curriculum Intent for music can be summarised in these ways:
· A learner-centred teaching approach. Ensuring learners deepen thinking, learning is role modelled appropriately, pupils are challenged and engaged.
· We will explore opportunities to question their likes and dislikes of music, revise their own musical compositions, collaborate with others and persevere to create their own masterpieces.
· To experience and appreciate a variety of musical genres.
· To gain experience of playing a variety of musical instruments.
· We encourage children to participate in a variety of musical experiences through which we aim to build up the confidence of all children.
· Through singing songs, children learn about the structure and organisation of music.
· We teach technical vocabulary such as volume, pitch, beat and rhythm and encourage children to discuss music using these terms.
· We use the Kapow scheme of work to ensure complete curriculum coverage with built in CPD for staff.
The music subject leader is Miss Kim Powell.